The Victorian Christian Legal Society (VCLS) Committee wishes all its members and affiliates a merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!
The VCLS Committee would like to extend their thanks particularly to its members for their constant support over 2017, which has seen the election of new Committee members and a renewed focus on engaging with law students and junior practitioners. The Committee is made up entirely of volunteers and your financial support is channeled back into hosting events that aim to cultivate strong connections among the Christian legal community.
Over the years, the VCLS has traditionally lent its support to a number of charitable organisations, particularly around the Christmas season. We are continually overwhelmed with the generosity of our members and the incredible work that these organisations perform.
We have compiled a short list of organisations which members may wish to consider supporting this holiday season below. (Not all of these organisations are affiliated with the VCLS, though some have been invited to speak at past VCLS events.)
Have a merry Christmas and a safe holiday season!
- Compassion Australia: runs child sponsorship programs and provides practical assistance (access to water, healthcare and support after natural disasters) to lift children out of poverty
- Fred Hollows Foundation: provides training to medical professionals and funding for operations to eliminate avoidable blindness and improve Indigenous Australian health
- International Justice Mission Australia: partners with police, prosecutors, judges and social workers in developing countries to prosecute human rights violations under domestic law
- Love Mercy Foundation: Australian charity running microfinance and healthcare projects in Northern Uganda
- Prison Fellowship Australia: provides ministry to incarcerated men and women and their families
- Southern Cross Kids Camp: runs programs to assist children who have been subjected to abuse, neglect or domestic violence
- St Kilda Gatehouse: provides support and assistance to those involved in street based sex work or affected by commercial sexual exploitation as a result of hardship
- Thankyou: social enterprise producing household goods – 100% of profits go to projects aimed at eliminating global poverty